Sunday, April 4, 2010

ZIMTSTERNE COOKIES


I have gone back to the Christmas cookie section to complete the ones that I did not have time for during the holidays. This is a Swiss Xmas cookie that did not give an English translation for the name. The recipe used Cinnamon and nutmeg to give it that holiday taste but they were not as crisp as I expected. The dough was rolled out and then baked after being washed with beaten egg whites. I never know how difficult it will be to work with cut-out cookies but this dough was actually very easy to roll, cut and transfer. However, I did not make them as thin as the recipe called for as usually that is a disaster and I was making these while watching the Red Sox/Yankees game and the Sox were behind. I didn't have the patience for dough being stuck to the counter. Maybe that is why they are not as crisp as I had hoped but I think it is more that the recipe called for 2 1/2 eggs. So, these are good cookies but not fantastic. Tomorrow night is the big basketball game!!!! GO BUTLER!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. ZIMTSTERNE means cinnamon star cookies. I would snickerdoodle them next time, skip the egg wash and sprinkle them with cinnamonsugar.

    ReplyDelete