Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Candy Cane Cookies


Very "Christmasy" looking but I would have liked them to have more peppermint flavor. Actually, any peppermint flavor! The recipe for the dough was an almond flavored sugar cookie dough that seemed to be pretty standard. It called for both almond and vanilla flavoring and quite a bit of salt compared to what was used in any other recipe. I could taste the salt in the final product but Guido thought it was fine so I will see what other tasters say. The different component of these cookies is that after baking you sprinkle them with a mixture of ground-up candy canes and sugar. The first batch I followed the directions exactly and spooned it on while the cookies were warm. However, the majority of the mixture did not stick to the cookies. So, on the next batch I put the topping on before baking which was a real mess. The candy cane pieces melted and then hardened after removing the tray from the oven so that there was no time to get the cookies off the tray. They were basically glued to the pan with candy cane! I have a whole bunch of cookies pieces, needless to say! The last batch was done the original way but it meant that the cookies do not have much peppermint taste.

1 comment:

  1. Super CUTE! But taste was less than desireable. Quite salty as you mentioned, and very little peppermint flavor. This could be a GREAT cookie with a few alterations to the recipe.

    I appreaciate your skills and patience in twisting these cookies together. Like I said, they were CUTE and very festive! =)

    ReplyDelete