Wednesday, February 17, 2010

THUMBPRINT COOKIES


I remember making these cookies with my grandmother when she would come to visit for Thanksgiving. She was a master cookie maker and she was so patient with my attempts to roll the cookies in nuts and to gently press my thumb into the dough to make the depression to fill later with jam. These are great cookies to make with kids since there are so many jobs that are possible for little hands. This recipe did not make too many cookies so I hope everyone at UH gets to taste them. A few things to remember, use a good jam to fill the cookies. I was lucky to have some marionberry jam that Bob and Allison brought us back from Oregon--it is delicious! Also, chop up a lot more nuts than the recipe calls for. I am getting better at using my electric chopper ( I did not make nut powder this time!) and it was perfect for this recipe as the nuts need to be chopped finely. I hope you enjoy these and hope they bring back memories for other people. ***** This is a morning addition after having to soak the cookie pans all night---lightly grease the pans before baking even though the recipe calls for ungreased pans!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. These were really tasty. I loved the Oregon Mulberry (sp?) jam in the middle and also the walnuts... very classic Pacific NW goodness going on here!

    ReplyDelete