Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Malted Milk Rounds


I don't know how this recipe ever made it into the cookbook. It was a nightmare to make and was not exceptionally tasty after all the work. I really would like to have a word with Betty Crocker right now after having a frustrating evening! The first challenge was finding malted milk powder. It took four stores and, as usual, found it at Times which is where I never expect to find anything. The dough had to refrigerate all night, which I did, but it still was so hard to roll out and cut with a cookie cutter that I had to resort to alternate means. Even adding quite a bit of flour, it still was impossible to do according to the directions. So, I put teaspoons on the cookie sheet and then flattened them with the back of a glass dipped in flour. The resultant shape was not round but I really didn't care. They also did not take as long to bake, probably because they were a bit thinner than rolled-out cookies. Also, the recipe called for an ungreased sheet. Yeah, right! After scraping the first batch off the tray, I then washed it off and did all the following trays on greased sheets. The final component of these cookies was to ice them with malted milk icing. The recipe looked like it was going to make way more than I thought I would need so I only made 1/2 the recipe. This gave a nice spot of icing for almost all the cookies. The icing dressed the cookies up but I think made them too sweet--even Guido agreed with that conclusion!!! It took so long to make them that it was too late to bring them down to Alex so hopefully I will see Alex tomorrow before he leaves so the UH people will get some. OK..glad this night is over!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have a hard time picturing this in the 'Family' section of the cookbook with all the work that went into it... granted it could be why it was sooo sweet (for the kids, and for the record --- I liked that it was sweet, the 'kid' in me...).

    I enjoyed the cookie, though didn't really taste the Malt. And I felt a little guilty enjoying it as I knew how difficult it was to make. Thanks Anne for all your hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete