Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies


Refrigerator cookies are a two-step process. You make the dough one night, refrigerate it overnight and then slice and bake the cookies the next day. There are advantages to this type of cookie. You can make the dough for several kinds of cookies early and then bake them the day you want to serve them. One recipe makes quite a few cookies. They are not difficult to make but it did take some manipulation to get the dough into thin rolls (the best way was to put the dough in wax paper and then push it into a roll, otherwise your hands get very messy!). This recipe called for pressing chopped pecans into the rolls but I didn't press them hard enough which I found out tonight when I was slicing them to cook--many of the nuts fell off. Oh well, live and learn! I also will push the dough into a tighter roll as there were a few holes when they were sliced. OK, on to tasting! They were excellent and pretty! Light and with the tiny dollop of melted chocolate in the center, just the right degree of flavor. I did make a small deviation from the recipe in that it called for the chocolate for icing to be heated in a double boiler. However, I microwaved the chocolate to melt it as I felt that's what Betty would have done had microwaves been more commonly used when the book was published. This is a recipe to try!!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen these cookies in another blog (the girl was baking her way through the Cooky Book as well) except she had the nuts all through the cookie (i think) and didn't add the chocolate on top. I think the drop of melt chocolate makes these cookies extra special looking! I can't use nuts (youngest is allergic) do you think rolling mini chocolate chips in place of the nuts would be chocolate over kill?

    ReplyDelete