Sunday, September 27, 2009

Coconut Apricot Strips


It's Sunday and the Sox lost but the Patriots won. Both games were early so I am baking cookies while watching the Colts/Cardinals game.....go Colts! This is the last of the bar cookie section and then I move on to refrigerator cookies which means that I have to make the dough one night and then bake them the next as they require overnight cooling. I love apricot and coconut so I was very happy to make these on a Sunday as the recipe noted to serve the same day they were made. This gave us the whole day to eat them! The first challenge was to find pineapple preserves. The recipe called for both apricot and pineapple but I could not find the pineapple anywhere....pineapple/mango, pineapple/guava, pineapple/lilikoi, but no pineapple alone. Finally found a combined pineapple/apricot at Safeway Manoa!!! How lucky is that!!!! I started the baking when I got home and followed the directions exactly. It required a three step process: crust, preserves layer, meringue layer. Not difficult but a bit more time consuming then previous recipes. The final baking with the meringue layer said to leave it until it was "golden brown",which I did , but the picture in the book had it looking white!! Go figure! So when all was done, they were good but not great. The flavor was definitely the preserves so it is very dependent upon the quality of jam used. Glad I made them but not again. Dream Bars and Butterscotch Brownies are the winners for this chapter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment