Thursday, October 29, 2009

Coconut Butter Balls


First, the name makes me laugh and think of turkeys running around coated in white stuff! Getting serious, I was very excited about these cookies as I love coconut. My feelings about coconut are the polar opposite of dates. However, I was a bit disappointed with these cookies. They required the extra step of rolling the dough in egg batter first and then coconut which got a bit messy. It also required a lot more coconut than specified in the recipe. It was in the baking that it got interesting. The recipe called for 15 to 18 minutes of baking time. I kept a close eye on them so that the coconut did not get too brown but when I felt they couldn't brown any more, which was right before the 15 minute mark, there still seemed to be another minutes or so that the cookies needed in the oven to be completely cooked. Guido liked them that little bit undercooked but I am not so sure. I am looking for feedback from the tasters. Just a note on previous cookies, the pecan spice were a huge hit at UH--they smelled and tasted like Xmas! Also, there was a mix of opinions on the peanut butter but generally they were positive.

2 comments:

  1. I love coconut too, so was a little disappointed when I got the texture of the coconut flakes, but not the flavor. They tasted a little more like short-bread balls. And were crumbling with every bite. I think at Christmas time I would call these and the wedding cake cookies - 'snowballs' - possibly stack them both on a serving tray that looked like a snowflake! Themes are FUN! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah... and the pecan inside could be the surprise poo! =) Wow... I sure am missing winters on the mainland!

    ReplyDelete