Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Viennese Shortbread Cookies


I remember making these cookies years ago when we first got the cookbook. I remember them being great and they still are. However, back then we drank instant coffee and now we only make drip coffee. Why does that matter, you ask? Well, to make the mocha filling you need some instant coffee mixed with a small amount of water. My attempt to be creative and substitute very strong coffee made from beans, didn't make the mocha flavor as intense as I remembered it. These cookies required more planning as you had two cookies with the filling between so you had to make sure the cookies were equal size and it was difficult to make the cookie press end the dough at the correct mark. They were all too long and I had to cut them into similar sized "logs". The recipe also did not make very many cookies ( again, sorry UH people!). My final thought: good but not worth all the extra work! I am interested to see what other tasters think.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! When it comes to cookies these were right up my alley - rich and tasty and LARGE! The mocha flavor was there, but slightly. I think more mocha would have made them even better, but really ANY flavor filling would be good... hmm... wonder if you could do Chai Tea filling? And because they were so strong on the sugar side, I would imagine making them a little smaller would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... And not that I personally want them smaller... I'm just thinking of all the UH ppl who did not get to enjoy them =)

    Mmmm... I'm eating one right now... are you jealous?

    ReplyDelete