Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Russian Tea Cakes


These are also known as Mexican wedding cakes and Cyndi Uyehara makes the best I have ever tasted. These are almost as good as hers but I think I cooked them a bit too long. The second tray I tried to keep an eye on but the top doesn't brown so you think the bottom is fine. You really want them to not brown at all. Oh well, they still taste alright! Another suggestion is to put a dishtowel under the cooling racks so when you put them to cool after rolling them in powdered sugar, the excess sugar is easily cleaned up by folding up the towel and rinsing it in the sink. This is a classic Xmas cookie!!! Oh, one other thing, when you roll them into balls to cook, make sure the dough is packed tightly together otherwise they will fall apart when rolling them in sugar later on.

3 comments:

  1. these are my favorite cookies in the world! mom, i can't believe you've made these! YES!!
    - mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first sample of wedding cakes or tea cookies, however you call it and had to fight Bob for the few I got to enjoy =) They were YUMMY! I love how they melted in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely love these. we should have a bake off...you vs. cyndi

    ReplyDelete